Accounts Assistant - part time, term time only
Salary: £12 per hour
To assist the Accounts Department to maintain accurate records and process information relating to the School finances and to provide financial information as requested.
The Accounts Assistant reports to the Finance Director and will also work closely with the Accounts Administrator in the undertaking of the duties of the role.
Administration Team members
Central Office Finance Staff
* To administer the Purchase Ledger.
* Prepare and code Purchase Orders appropriately and input them using the computerised accounts package.
* Match Purchase Invoices to Purchase Orders using the computerised accounts package.
* Produce payment lists for the twice monthly BACs runs.
* Reconcile supplier statements to the Purchase Ledger and respond to telephone and email queries from suppliers relating to payment dates of invoices.
* Assist with the processing of staff expense claims.
* Prepare cheques for signature along with accompanying documentation.
* Prepare and do the banking, including ordering foreign currency.
* Administration of the School’s petty cash account.
* Contribute to the general running of the Accounts office.
* Undertake other duties related to the job purpose as required which may include, but are not limited to, assisting with month-end and year-end procedures, assisting with the collection and
* inputting of 'fees extras’ information, assisting in the administration of the income and expenditure associated with all recharge accounts including educational visits, charity money and events and supporting the Accounts team in reporting financial performance to Central Office, the Heads of Department and all other budget holders.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The post holder may perform other such duties reasonably required by the Finance Director and Head.
Essential - A minimum of English and Mathematics GCSE grade A-C (or equivalent)
Desirable - Honours degree (2.2 or above) or accountancy/book keeping qualification
Experience of working in a school environment
Experience of office administration
Experience of accounts administration
Excellent interpersonal skills
An efficient telephone manner
Attention to detail
Organisational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
Ability to work as part of a team
Confident in the use of ICT, especially Microsoft Applications including Excel, Word and Outlook
Desirable -Experience of using Access Dimensions financial accounts system
* A commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
* The ability to work using your own initiative.
* High levels of discretion, tactfulness, confidentiality and awareness of data protection
* Personal confidence and energy
* Personal warmth to gain confidence of pupils, staff, parents.
* Good, professional appearance
* A proactive, flexible and versatile approach
Permanent, part time, term time only (36 weeks per year)
£12 per hour
Hours of work
Normal hours of work are spread over five days per week: Monday to Friday, with a start time of either
09.00 or 09.30 until 14.30
This post is accountable to the Finance Director.
1st September 2019
A range of benefits are offered including discounted cinema tickets, retail discounts, staff development, contributory pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, car lease scheme, discounted gym memberships, health and dental plans.
Guildford High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all who work at the School to share this commitment.
Successful applicants will be subject to child protection screening appropriate to the post including an enhanced disclosure through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and checks with previous employers